Saturday, May 10, 2008

Fifth Third Riverbank Run 25K

15.5 Miles - 1:55:12

What an amazing race. This is by far the best race I have done thus far. Tons of runners, I think 14,000 0verall, even more exuberant spectators, all over the course, pep squads, cheer leaders, people just parking and cheering you on. It was great. Plus I had a lot of good friends running in the various races throughout the day.

As for the run itself......it's long...not too hilly....but long. My goal was to make the 2 hours club, which I did by almost 5 minutes. I was planning on running around 7:40 miles, I ended up running 7:26 miles, which blew me away. Didn't think I was going to be that strong today. My first mile was around 8:15 and I wasn't feeling too good. Thought I was in big trouble. Once I got though mile 2 I was feeling better, still not on pace, but gaining. I caught up with Pam and Hank around mile 3, Hank was packing Pam and he had a sign he was caring during the whole run (which is amazing) that said something like the Pam 2 hour club or something. After 4 miles I just took of at a good pace and was weaving around people. It was a pretty nice course, packed with runners though, I was running on the sidewalks and in the dirt to get around people.

At the halfway point I still felt really good, and at that point I knew I was running below 7:30 miles, but I kept at that pace with how I was feeling. Then the hills came, they weren't big, but after 8 miles, any hill is big. They slowed me down a bit, but I was always able to get back to pace after I made it to the top. It was at about mile 14 that I started to struggle a little, but when I made the last turn for the home stretch, and all those people were cheering, thousands of them, it was a great feeling. I was also able to out kick everyone I was running around at the end, which has not been the case in the past. All this turned into the best race of my life so far, but I feel like things will just keep getting better.

1 comment:

John said...

nice work. this was riverbank run #5 for me and the hills still sneak up on me. new PR but not nearly as fast as you! see you at the coast guard 10k.