Sunday, October 19, 2008

Grand Rapids Marathon - DNF

How disappointing, I am not sure exactly how to feel right now.  I put in a lot time and effort for this race, and to have an injury bring me down.  Felt good this morning, it was a little chilly, but I was pumped and ready.  Started faster than I should have, which may have contributed to my issues.  Started at about a 7:08 Pace, why, who knows.  I need 7:15's to qualify for Boston......Temporary insanity, not sure.  I was still feeling good though.  But at mile 11 I started to feel my hamstring getting tight, it has been giving my problems for a little while, but just a small pain.  So I started to pull back a little to see if it would go away, I think I was doing 7:15's once I slowed down.  It just kept getting worst and worst, and at mile 18, it just went, my leg stiffened up and I could not longer run.


I sat down in the grass and stretched and stretched, got back up, tried to run, no way.  I hobbled along for a while trying to run now and then, I just had no shot.  Found a med station, they had no way to get me out, so I had to walk 4 miles out (I was able to bypass a 2 mile out and back) to get back to the finish......and I never crossed the line.  

Not sure what I want to do from here, this was my first marathon, I did make a mistake of going out to fast, not sure if it contributed to ending my day, but it couldn't have helped.  I will learn from this, and I will be smarted next marathon.  Right now I am thinking that Boston may not be in the picture next year, I just need to finish a marathon right now, and not worry about qualifying.

So, a massage tomorrow, take a couple weeks off to let my body heal from all the training and the hard 18 miles I did run, and start back at it slowly.

2 comments:

NOLA Grl 81 said...

Don't let the DNF discredit the 18 hard miles run. I'm working toward my first Marathon and I'm pretty sure I'll get to a point where I cross the finish line on my hands and knees after the course is closed, but you're pace is phenomenal. You'll make it to Boston, I have no doubt. Good luck with the next one... I'll keep on trucking toward the Austin Marathon in April.

Run For Life said...

I'm sorry to hear about the DNF. Hope your hamstring is feeling better and you can start running again asap. I know it's disappointing but I'm sure you'll conquer the marathon soon!